Monday, May 9, 2011

Here They Grow Again!

It has been quite some time since I added a new post but with gasoline prices rising almost every other day I wanted to just throw my hands up and said, "I give up". A few months ago gasoline prices were staying steady in the mid-to high two dollar range. Then, out of almost nowhere, the prices started climbing and flew past $3 per gallon and is now almost $4 per gallon in a lot of the country and than that toward the west coast. 

But allow me to vent once again and tell you that as the price of gas rises so does the profits of the oil companies. The first quarter results show major windfalls for the companies and they're having their best year since 2008.

- ConocoPhillips reported its first quarter earnings rose 43% to $3 billion.
- Exxon Mobil and Chevron are expected to report a combines $18.2 billion in earnings. That's a 40% increase from a year ago. 

That is all great news to oil company shareholders and executives but for businesses and consumers it just means rising prices not just for gasoline but for food, clothing, airline fares, shipping and almost everything we use in our daily lives. 

Even as the price of a barrel of oil decreased at times, the price at the pump continued to rise! The companies still continue to receive $4 billion in subsidies every year by the current administration. President Obama must be starting his new game face for his upcoming re-election bid because he even appointed a task force to look into manipulation of oil and gas prices. "Task force". "Look into." "Manipulation". I love those terms. 

Wall street is predicting that Exxon will make $40.71 billion in profits this year. And they predict that Chevron will make close to $25 billion in profit. 

I could go on and on with examples of rising profits for all of the companies but I start feeling light-headed after see all those numbers. I read somewhere the other day about how much oil we had underneath out own soil in America. It was a staggering amount that could be easily accessed and it would greatly reduce our dependence on foreign oil. And another story told about all of the oil that Canada has in it's ground and tit asked the question of why aren't we at least buying our main supply of oil from our northern neighbor and telling the foreign blood-suckers to go pound sand! 


We could have a lot more control over the gas prices if we wanted to band together as a whole and start telling these companies that we are not going to pay these prices. If you've been following this blog then you know about my efforts to get everyone in this country to stop buying any gas from ExxonMobil. Just get it from ANY other company. How fast would the prices drop at all Exxon/Mobile stations?? I'd love to try and find out. Ever since I started writing this blog I can tell you that I have not driven onto any Exxon or Mobile lot, nor have I bought one drop of gas from them. If you bought from them or continue to buy from them, please stop. You have NOTHING to lose and everything to gain. I'll keep my fingers crossed....

No comments: